Sunday, November 13, 2016

White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe


I found this recipe on Pinterest and eventually on this blog.  Yes, my picture is even similar.  Like I've said before, you eat with your eyes first and when I was searching for a recipe, the one with the prettiest pictures won.  I obviously took my own picture but you get the point.  I changed just a few tiny things about it but you can do that with soups/stews/chilis and they will almost always turn out.  I added more spice than the original recipe called for but you can easily adjust that.

White Bean Chicken Chili
7 slices chopped bacon
1 large onion, diced
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 whole rotisserie chicken, shredded 
2 teaspoon smoked paprika (found in the ethic food spices) 
2 teaspoon ground cumin 
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoons chile powder
6 cups chicken stock
1 can (28-ounce Size) roasted, diced tomatoes
4 cans (14.5 Ounce Size) White Beans, Cannelini Or Great Northern
2 cans (4 Ounce Size) Diced Green Chiles
Salt And Pepper, to taste
***I also threw in 1/2 package of taco seasoning and 1/4 package of dry ranch mix that I had left over from making taco soup***
grated Monterey jack and cilantro for topping

In a large pot, cook chopped bacon over medium until it's crisp.  Add chopped onion to pot and saute over medium low until onions are transparent.  Add shredded chicken and spices, chicken stock, cans of beans (undrained), cans of tomatoes (undrainted), and cans of chiles (undrained).  Let this cook down for about 45 minutes to one hour.  If looks a little thin to you (and mine did) extract some of the broth from the soup into a small bowl and add a few tablespoons of corn starch to the broth.  Stir it until all of the clumps are gone and then add it back to your chili.  Repeat after a few minutes if it's still not thick enough.  Keep in mind that it will thicken as it cools so you don't want to make it too thick while it's still hot or it'll be a thick mess once it's cool.  Top with fresh grated cheese and cilantro.

I also added avocado to mine which just seemed normal as I add avocado to anything I can!   And tortilla chips!

This makes a HUGE pot of chili.  I ended up putting the majority of it in the freezer.  We really liked this recipe and it will definitely go into our fall/winter dinner rotation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment