Sunday, November 13, 2016

Mississippi Mud & Perfect Chocolate Frosting Recipe


I got this recipe out of one of my absolute favorite cookbooks, Southern Living's Comfort Food.  I already made so many of the recipes in this book before I even got it (poppyseed chicken casserole, okra, and tomatoes, coke cake....the cherry divinity continues to defeat me.).  It's also full of pictures.  I'm big on pictures in cookbooks because you eat with your eyes first.  Before I buy a cookbook, I flip through it and look at all of the pictures and honestly...if a recipe doesn't have a picture, I probably won't ever make it.  I don't think this recipe makes a dense enough cake to be called a brownie...it reminds me of those Snackwell's devil food cookies.  But I will tell you one thing....the chocolate icing is darn good.  Todd stuck his finger in it while I was making it and said, "that'll do.....that'll do jusssst fine!" It's a perfect chocolate sheet cake icing.

Mississippi Mud
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup melted butter
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups miniature marshmallows
chocolate frosting

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.  Add butter, eggs, and vanilla, Beat lightly until smooth.  Stir in pecans.  Pour batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 pan.

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Remove pan from oven, sprinkle marshmallows over top and return to oven for 1 to 2 minutes.  Remove pan and spread marshmallow over top until smooth.  Carefully spread chocolate frosting over marshmallows. Cool completely and cut into squares.

Chocolate frosting
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16oz) bag of powdered sugar

Beat all ingredients at medium speed until combined.  Beat at high speed for a few minutes until frosting lightens in color and reaches spreading consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment